There's a lot to do. But what should you be thinking about right now and what can wait until later?
Here's a list of 10 things that you should be considering from the word go. (And if you're a bride-to-be and have any tips to add, please let us know by adding a comment in the box below.)
What To Do When You Get Engaged
- Book a venue. If you want to, you can hold your nerve and book a venue very last minute but really, all the best venues get booked up well in advance, particularly on Saturdays in the summer months. Remember it can be cheaper to get married on a Wednesday and also you may find more availability for your chosen venue in the winter months.
- Consider using an online wedding planning tool which will help you to sort out your guestlist, budget and to do list. You can also find wedding planning tools as an app, so you can get organised whilst on the move.
- Once you've set a date, you should also book a photographer. Have a look at some wedding blogs of real weddings to see the style of photography that suits you. Reportage is very popular just now but you may want something a little more traditional and old school.
- Ask your friends if they'll be your bridesmaids. They'll need to put the date in their diaries!
- Send out save-the-date cards. If you're getting married in the summer, or at Christmas, people have an annoying habit of being away on holiday! Ananya has some beautiful save the date cards and invitations to choose from.
- Pinterest is a fabulous place to set up a moodboard to plan your wedding. You can make boards of wedding dresses, wedding cakes, shoes, bridesmaid dresses, venues ... it's great fun, addictive and best of all, it gathers all your thoughts together in one place.
- Okay. The dress. You may already have ideas of how you'd like to look but all the top designers say that you should really keep an open mind. Try on a dress you may not have considered and it may surprise you. If you want to save some money, keep an eye out for wedding dress designer sample sales which can save you hundreds of pounds on your dream dress.
- Book your caterer. As before, the good caterers book up in advance and by booking ahead, you'll find you have a lot more choice in the matter.
Perhaps most importantly of all, remember to enjoy planning your wedding! It's a wonderful time, so don't get stressed out about it. Just relax and try to stay calm.